


Nature Journals
I have been doing a lot of reading about nature studies and using nature journals with kids. Itis about getting kids out in nature, reading about it, exploring it, appreciating and enjoying nature. There are many different ways to go about it so at first I was overwhelmed and wasn't sure if it is something we could do. However after much thought - I felt pulled in the direction to give it a try. As some of you know my oldest struggles with writing so I didn't want this to become another project or "forced" issue. So what I decided was to introduce the idea of a nature journal and give suggestions of how we can do it. I said we could just do a family journal or each kid could have their own. I suggested drawing pictures, taking pictures, writing and picking up objects to glue in(if allowed/possible). So the kids were excited. L and A decided they wanted their own book. A LOVES to take pictures so he did that. L loves to draw and was happy to draw pics and even label her flower she drew. Another question in taking on this project was where to go. Yesterday I just sent Allen out back and he chose to draw a pic of our Mary statue and garden. Today we took a short walk to a nearby pond and while L. worked on her book there, A just took pics and did a drawing when we came back. I am very excited to see where this project leads us. A took these pics and as you can see AJ enjoys nature too!! lol!
2 comments:
Thats really cool Tracy. We have been trying to get out more too. GM has a journal he keeps and a nature journal he sketches in from time to time. I think I will get us out for a hike next week with our journals.
Thats so cool that A and L are enjoying it so much!!!
Thanks Kari,
We forgot our camera today while at Rady and we saw a snake. Not all unusual I know but still always fascinates the kids.
Post a Comment