School in summer?
What? Do you continue in summer? This has been a question I have heard many times over the past few months. Of course we do. We read, write, play, do math, talk about history, observe nature, play in the water, take field trips. Even if I sent the kids to school we would do all these things! I just believe that learning is an ongoing process. We don't stop for a few months just because school has let out for the summer. My kids complained a little at first for "having to do work" but really that is more because of their neighborhood friends than anything else. We regularly visit the library and are in so many activities it is time consuming! We do some workbooks, some interest learning(kids choice), play games, use the computer, read, read and read. We don't do school at home. I can't remember where I just read this recently but it mentioned homeschooling is a "way of life". I LOVE THAT! It is true. I didn't decide to homeschool so we can follow the school system idea of certain classes, certain ways to learn and only certain times to know it. I want my kids to use their imagination, pursue their interests, learned they are not tied down to doing things in only one way. That we are a family and family comes first! That we will support each other in every situation. I don't need to send them away for someone else to teach them- I CAN do it! Hey no way am I perfect nor do I think I am close. But I love that I am home with my kids all the time. I do not get "tired" of being with them. Of course I need breaks-that is normal. I love that we can change direction if we need to. We can take a break, take a step back, jump ahead, go outside as we all want to. So yes we "learn" in the summer as well as the rest of the year!
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment